Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Soft, Yet (Not So) Manly Scarf

I'm currently working on a scarf for a dude.  I'm using Red Heart Super Soft yarn in black.  I'm doing a fairly simple, easy to remember 3x3 rib pattern.

To start I cast on 27 stitches.

I then knit in garter stitch for 3 rows.

After the three rows I started the ribbing. (*knit three, purl three, repeat to end of the row. Then purl three, knit three, repeat to end of the row and keep alternating for a ribbed pattern)

And I will finish it with three rows of garter before binding off knit wise.

I'm using only one skein of yarn, minus a little bit of yardage which I used on another project.  I'm guessing that when it's done, aka I've run out of yarn, it will be approx. 56 in. long.  Since it's a scarf for a guy, I'll block it and be done.  Normally I'd fringe the heck out of it with a contrasting color, but I'm not sure he'd appreciate the beauty of that.  He's pretty manly.

I need to do a bit of blocking before it's gift-able.  The scarf is pretty "compact" and I kind of wish I'd cast on more stitches to make it wider.  But if I can successfully block it, it won't be a problem in the final outcome of the project.

I'll post an update to this entry on the blog with a picture of the final product when I am done with it.

**UPDATE**

Well I wasn't able to block the scarf the way I'd hoped, I ended up having to mist it down with water and use a very low setting on the iron to try to loosen it up a bit.  I'm still not 100% happy with the final product, but I'm still learning and this was just one of those learning experiences.  

Here are a few pictures I took of the scarf.
 



 **Additional Update**

I still have the scarf, I just can't make myself give it to a dude.... it's too dainty.  I'll try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment